A Well-Rounded Weekend


Last night, daughter Hannah and I went to Friday Jazz at the High Museum here in Atlanta, and took in the exhibit we've been waiting to see: The First Emperor of China's Terracotta Army. Oh my. I woke up this morning still amazed.

Today, husband Jim and I travel to the gold-rush town of Dahlonega, in the foothills of Georgia (one of our favorite day-trips), to the Bear on the Square Mountain Festival. Lots of fiddles, lots of live music and dancing and singing and... just my kind of place and my kind of entertainment.

Then, tomorrow is the piece de resistance. Hannah and I have been waiting for this day ever since we snagged tickets when they first went on sale. Tomorrow is the 70th anniversary of the premier of GONE WITH THE WIND. It premiered here in Atlanta, at the (now restored) Fox Theater in Midtown, and the movie will be shown in its entirety -- prologue and intermission to boot -- at noon on Sunday. It will be introduced by Robert Osborne of American Movie Classics.

Before the movie, Hannah and I are attending, upstairs at the Fox in the Egyptian Ballroom, with good friends from out of town, the Rhett and Scarlett Brunch. I kid you not.

We must dress for this occasion, we have decided. I have just the outfit. It won't approximate the one Scarlett wore to the barbecue at Twelve Oaks (which is the one Hannah has dibs on), but it will come close. Can't wait for this reunion with out of town friends who also love this ridiculous, amazing, controversial, fascinating old movie. It's an Uncle Edisto kind of movie -- "Open your arms to life! Let it strut into your heart in all its messy glory!"

As Scarlett would answer, "Fiddle-dee-dee!"

I may have to wear gloves. Yes, white gloves... I think that will be perfect.

See you Monday, when the second leg of the Shoestring Tour gets underway! Have a great weekend, everybody. May it include some family, some friends, some culture, some guilty pleasure, and some great music.