summer reading: Freedom Summer (and deadlines)

Whew. I've had deadline-brain. I turned in the revision and backmatter to the Kent State project (book, now), which publishes in April 2020, and that intensity, on the heels of bringing-in the last bits for ANTHEM, Book 3 of the Sixties Trilogy (publishes October 1, 2019), shoved me right over. Tilt. 

Noodle-brain, I started calling it. For days. I'm slowly pulling it back together, and so back to Summer Reading. Let me finish writing a bit about my first book, FREEDOM SUMMER and then on to RUBY next time. 

I often say that Mississippi was/is the landscape of my heart. It is certainly the geography of my childhood. Both my parents were Mississippi born and bred, so it become our homeplace each year, as we lived all over the globe in an Air Force family. I started school in Hawaii (before it became a state!) and I graduated high school in the Philippines, at Clark AFB. 

Mississippi was the place where everyone knew me and couldn't wait for me to return each summer, to pinch my cheek and tell me how much I'd grown, and to celebrate their most famous citizen (or so it seemed to a young girl then), my dad, who had left this tiny town of a few hundred people in the middle of nowhere, and gone out into the world to become a pilot and a war hero. If the town had been big enough for parades, I thought they'd have had one for my father's return each summer.

Those childhood summers were idyllic for me, with nothing to do, and nowhere much to go, except to the cemetery to visit all the relatives, to play piano in the unlocked (and un-air-conditioned) Methodist church, to ride to the Cool Dip for ice cream in the next town over, and, if you were lucky, to go roller skating and swimming at the Pine View.

Here's what the Pine View Cafe across the road from the pool and roller skating rink and pond looked like before I was even born, probably:



We ate there once that I remember. It was the first time I'd heard the term "blue plate special."

This was the roller skating rink, and next to it (hidden by cars, but on the left in front of those pines) was the pool.

In 1964, the year I was 11, the Civil Rights Act was passed, and the pool closed. The roller skating rink closed. The Pine View Cafe closed. The Cool Dip closed. The Bayless Theater in Bay Springs, the county seat a few miles away, closed. The public library closed.

It would be years before I began to understand what had happened. And even more years before I wrote about that time in FREEDOM SUMMER. And even more years before I revisited that pool. 

I have been to see it many times since, have photographed it in all seasons, and show those slides when I speak at schools or conferences, after I read FREEDOM SUMMER on slides. And always, there is a hush. You can hear a pin drop. The proverbial pin.

My pool (as I have taken to calling it) was abandoned in 1964. (In the book I have it filled in with tar/asphalt, the way the pool in Greenwood, Mississippi was turned into a parking lot.) I can't stop visiting this town, every time I go to Mississippi. I still have precious family in Mississippi, although my parents have both died, and I still feel pulled to this geography of my childhood, this time and place, this trying-to-understand. 

I'm still trying to write about this time, which I've done specifically in REVOLUTION (Freedom Summer in novel form, and Book 2 of the Sixties Trilogy), and in THE AURORA-COUNTY ALL-STARS, and in A LONG LINE OF CAKES, in which the Pine View Cafe becomes The Cake Cafe. Possibly I will write about this time in our American history for as long as I live, in one way or another. It shows up in all my novels, in some form.

FREEDOM SUMMER got me started. Here's how.

In 1997 I went to the (then called) IRA -- International Reading Association -- conference in Atlanta (I lived in D.C. at the time, and went to support a friend). I met Anne Schwartz there, who was then at Simon&Schuster/Atheneum. My good bud Deborah Hopkinson introduced us and said, "Debbie is working on a book about the civil rights movement for children."

I wasn't. I had been writing and submitting manuscripts about my southern childhood for many years, and had collected a sizeable batch of rejection letters, but I hadn't sold a book yet. 

At IRA, I'd sat up late the night before with Deborah and another writer buddy Jane Kurtz, and each of us had talked about the book we'd write if we got only one book to write in our lifetimes. I talked about the summer the pool closed. "But that's not a book for children," I said. And Deborah said, "Why not?"

On the exhibit floor that day, Anne shook my hand, looked me in the eye, and said, "If you write that book, I want to read it."

And four years later, S&S published FREEDOM SUMMER. 

Perhaps I'd become a better writer in the ten years I'd been practicing and collecting rejections. Perhaps it was an editor's challenge and invitation. Perhaps it was good friends believing in me. Perhaps it was a story I knew was mine to tell, and mine alone, and perhaps all those things came together in a moment that I was prepared for by all the days of my life trying to figure it out. I don't know. 

I'm grateful for this book, though. It has helped. I will read it to anyone who will listen. And I will learn from it, for all the rest of the days of my life.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to know that back story to this book. I have used this book may times in my teaching - along with a newspaper article about a guy finding a pool ladder sticking out of his back yard garden when they were digging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Joanne, for sharing Freedom Summer. I'm glad the book has been useful to your teaching, and I love the story about the pool ladder, wow. I'm glad you wrote.

    ReplyDelete

Howdy. Moderating comments to prevent spam. I'm sure you're not that. Thanks for your thoughts! Write on, warrior on. Make art.