while waiting

So we're on deadline. I've dashed back the first-pass proofs. I've made a final pass at the edited acknowledgements, bibliography, author's note, etc. And I am waiting on the designed pages -- all those scrapbook elements -- which were to arrive yesterday. They didn't come.

This was me, yesterday, waiting on the package from DHL (big fail, DHL):
I am still waiting, at 11:22am this morning... the next day. We are on it, Scholastic and I, we've got each other's backs, but you know, I have learned that sometimes you cannot push the river. Still, I say this as my mail carrier, Bobby, drives past the house, and UPS has been here already -- again -- this morning. Le sigh.

This is what I want to do to DHL:
Don't they get it, that THIS (below) is the situation we're contending with right now?
Okay, not that bad. But it helps to blow off steam while I'm waiting. I'm sitting on my bed, surrounded with stuff, while hammering goes on outside my door. I'm waiting for this package. And I wanted to share these photos, courtesy of a website sent to me by my DJ son, Zach. Thanks Zach. I've had a good laugh this morning.

Which helps, as I've been consumed with the news from Haiti, have sat here on the bed while waiting, and have read, read, read the news, and have wondered how to help. I need to do something concrete. If you do as well, let me direct you to a couple of quick-steps you can take to help, right this minute. You can donate relief funds here:

Doctors Without Borders

And here's something else you can do right away. Anyone with a mobile phone and an account with a major wireless carrier can text the phrase 'Haiti' (no quotes) to the number 90999 and donate $10 to the Red Cross. That amount will be charged to your cell phone bill.

That alone felt like something useful to do while I waited for these pages that, in the grand scheme of life, can take as long as they take. I am fine. We are fine. The book is going to be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy. Moderating comments to prevent spam. I'm sure you're not that. Thanks for your thoughts! Write on, warrior on. Make art.